By Leah French, About.com Guide
It’s easy to transform inexpensive yard sale and flea market finds into high-style home décor. Whether your piece needs a good scrubbing, a little stitching, or a complete refinishing, learn how with these DIY projects.
Trash to Treasure Makeovers
Learn how to turn so-called trash into home decorating treasure. Enjoy before and after photos, see how the transformations happened, and get some great ideas for your next trash to treasure project.
Repairing, Restoring, & Restyling
It’s thrilling to score a perfect piece at a flea market or yard sale, but more often you’ll find treasures that need a bit of help.
Don’t shy away from simple refinishing, reupholstering, and repairs. Read easy instructions for restoring your finds to top condition, or for restyling them into completely new looks.
- How to Reupholster Chair Seats
- Alternative Fabric Ideas for Upholstering Dining Chairs
- 10 Flea Market Finds to Use as Headboards
- 13 Flea Market Finds to Turn into Table Lamps
- How to Upholster a Door
- 7 Ways to Use Old Mason Jars
- 7 Ways to Use Vintage Drapery Panels
- 10 Ways to Display Vintage Jewelry
- Decorative Storage with Flea Market Finds
- How to Make Welt Cord
- How to Make a Braided Rag Rug from Scraps
- How to Make a Vintage Tin Hanging Lamp
- How to Make a No-Sew Window Valance
- Cabinet Door Makeover
- How to Make a Bed Crown Coronet
- Chandelier Makeover
- What to Buy & When to Walk Away
- How to Make Fabric Drawer Liners
- Shopping for Secondhand Furniture
- The Divine Chair Company
Cleaning & Polishing
Sometimes your secondhand treasures only need a good cleaning or polishing, but some vintage items need a delicate touch. Learn how to make your finds shine, and how to care for them without causing damage.