Spend a leisurely three days driving along the 150-mile twisting path of the Roller Coaster Yard Sale. The annual event, started in 1986 to promote the Cordell Hull Highway, takes place each fall in Kentucky and Tennessee. In addition to scoring plenty of bargains, you’ll enjoy the breathtaking fall foliage of the Highland Rim and Cumberland Mountains.
Start the Roller Coaster Yard Sale in Mammoth Cave, Kentucky. Head south on Highway 63, a Kentucky Scenic Byway. Loop through Tennessee on Highways 52 and 111. Travel Highway 90 back up to Glasgow, Kentucky.
- 150 miles
- 19 participating cities
Dates and Times:
- Thursday through Saturday
- 2014 Dates: October 2 through 4
Along the Way:
- Each lunch on the road. In addition to the usual concessions, you'll find plenty of southern home cooking and BBQ.
- Plan to stop at the numerous flea markets, antique and craft stores, and produce stands along the yard sale route.
Roller Coaster Yard Sale Tips:
- Top 10 Yard Sale Shopping Tips
- Look for signs pointing to side-street sales as you drive through towns.
- Take plenty of cash. The Roller Coaster Yard Sale runs along a fairly rural path, and you don't want to rush back to last town for an ATM if you find a steal in the middle of nowhere.